Johnson Controls’ P2000 provides seamless ID management, online and offline
Cloud-based Identity and Access Control (IAC) makes great sense, until you lose connectivity. If that happens you want your onsite access control controllers to be 100% operational in terms of intelligence – smart enough to continue to provide access control at complete functionality in offline mode. Johnson Controls’ P2000 access control solution is one of a very few that can make that happen.
Says Neil Cameron, GM: Johnson Controls Building Efficiency, Building Efficiency: Africa: “Cloud-based IAC is very useful. It’s centralised, can be accessed from anywhere and it can be automated – it removes the burden of administering multiple disparate enterprise access systems. With a single set of security policies, it can drive security standardisation across business systems, disparate facilities and even geographies. And there is the convenience factor: with an IAC server in the cloud, it’s easy to change business sites. There is no doubt that it is the way to go – but only if you have thought it through.
“If, for whatever reason, the business loses connectivity to the cloud-based IAC system, the system needs to perform fully in off-line mode in order to keep facilities open, control access to sensitive areas, and ensure important events – such as HR-driven interventions (e.g., maximum overtime, body searches or scans, etc) – raise alerts. That can only happen if the IAC intelligence – the data, configuration, and policies – remain accessible in offline mode.
“The Johnson Controls P2000 does this nicely.”
Each onsite P2000 access control controller has a built-in server with robust processing capability, sufficient RAM to store a database of critical access information, an IP-based Windows OS, and peer-to-peer communications capabilities to ensure uninterrupted and uncompromised access control.
The P2000 offers seamless identity management, managing a single credential that propagates across physical security, logical (IT) security, and business (ERP) systems. It enables users to:
- Create a credential and assign access management rights.
- Manage employee, contractor, and visitor credentials through a centralised command centre.
- Automatically assign access rights based on roles from compliance rules.
- Enforce work rules including min/max hours, min/max occupancy, training and drug testing intervals, etc.
- Propagate identity and access management based on changes to employment status, changes in job function, or changes in threat level.
- Automatically check identities against black lists/white lists.
- Generate reports for compliance and risk management audits.
The P2000 provides the control of an integrated technology platform. Its open system technology uses IT network infrastructure and enables integration with multiple systems and devices, including access control, video surveillance and building management systems.
It will work with virtually any security and building system technology or equipment currently installed, as well as with new technologies. It can be hosted in the cloud and has the capacity to connect to multiple facilities across geographies.
The technology platform allows centralisation of security and building operations, via the Web or installed network.
Operators get access to real-time views of your facility, even in multi-campus sites, on any Web-based computer or handheld device.
Its capabilities include:
Alarm and Event Management
- Access control policy enforcement: Security threat level control, elevator access control, cabinet access control.
- Situational awareness: interactive real-time maps, area management, guard tour tracking.
- Alarm handling – Alarm prioritisation – Predefined alarm response text – Alarm escalation.
Identity and Cardholder Management
- Identity information management: HR system integration, visitor management, custom card format creation.
- Access privilege management: user-definable approval process for cardholder modifications, maximum inactive period, badge temporary access.
- Compliance management – electronic records, electronic signature validation, robust reporting.